Kids/Teen Literature Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Curse by Vanna29

2 posters

Go down

The Curse by Vanna29 Empty The Curse by Vanna29

Post  vanna29 Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:59 am

Here's the beginning of my story, The Curse. I really hope you read it and tell me what you think. I really hope I get to continue it. =)

The Curse

By Vanna29 ©

Giant leaves of yellow, orange, and red slowly drifted towards the ground from colossal trees, towering above. With all of the leaves scattered, the floor seemed to be an endless, waving sea of warm colors. Autumn was here, and it was quite chilly with the breeze but still sunny and cloudless. It seemed as if everything was nice and normal. But it wasn't.

An tall old man, grimly stepped onto the platform in the middle of Town Square. Well, it wasn't much of town. A few little huts made of straw or wood became business services such as the black smith's forge or a small bakery. They kind of circled around a giant empty area with a large wooden platform which became the Town Square (more like an oval though). So there the mayor stood, anxiously. His father had been mayor and his father before that and so on and so on. But if you really thought about it, the village really hadn't needed anybody to run it. Mayor Blaren's job was fairly easy and everyone took care of their own business: hunting, trading, and farming.

But then...striking unexpectedly to the poor little community was a drought. Not just any drought, but a terrible one. The sun shone fiercely and brightly, never ceasing for days, weeks, months. Not even a single gray cloud was visible for what seemed like forever. Whole rivers, creeks, and lakes disappeared. Every drop of water seemed to evaporate and one by one, villagers seemed to die of thirst or hunger. The crops had died, and the game had migrated to somewhere with food and water. It seemed as if there was no hope for the village. At least until one day when Molly, a tall, lanky red headed girl who lived at the edge of the town spotted something. There was a little stream running from the massive forest. She ran her fingers through the cold water and gasped in excitement as it was not a hallucination. There was hope, or so it seemed.

"In our time of desperation, thirst, hunger, we must learn how to survive and follow our instincts. This takes me to why we are gathered here today. We have faced many challenges and seen our family and friends died because of this drought. I will no longer stand by and watch this town disintegrate!" Mayor Blaren exclaimed. "We are going to follow the stream that Molly had found and build a farm! With water we can grow food again, and we can hunt and live-"

"But Mayor Blaren! The forest! It-it's never been touched for hundreds of years! It would be bad luck, I say, to just cut it down," a villager interrupted. "The drought has been a bad omen enough."

The thought did occur to the mind of the mayor, but bounced off like a ricocheting ball. What was there to worry about? "Well, you know what I say? What should we believe in, a superstition or the way to save this entire town?" he paused for a minute, waiting for the news to settle into the towns people. "We will start construction immediately!" As the sky started to darken the people dispersed.

The very next day, the people ventured to the forest with all their tools, following the little stream. It got bigger and bigger and then joined a river. A big, flowing river! Everyone of the explorers were high in spirits as they chopped down the giant pine trees that surrounded the river. They didn't even notice the hooded figure with the red eyes standing amongst the trees.

---------------------------

It was a sunny day with a slight breeze that kept the temperature just perfect. Sometimes the weather seemed to be against Ebony. In fact, it seemed as though the whole world was against her. The forest was the only remnants of her old life, her happy life, and now Ebony was watching it being torn down tree by tree. It collected such a strong feeling inside her, she felt as if she would explode. Her fury burned inside her as a wild fire in a forest would. In some cases Ebony would've just just walked right out of her hiding spot between the trees and made them regret everything for the rest of their lives...if it wasn't going to be so short. But her master would never allow that, and she had no intentions to come back to the underworld. Her time there had been tough; she had seen images she will never forget. Master had always said it had made her bitter and shown her the little mercy had by letting her stay out of sight, secluded in one place of her choice. Of course she chose the forest because it reminded her of the times she spent with Will there. Ebony had little reason to even miss Will the slightest bit ever since he had left her for dead. She had to remind herself sometimes that she probably just missed the moments she had with him. Though deep down, her heart still ached after all these years. Yes, her heart: the one that she sometimes wondered if she even had. After all, she was a witch.

Ebony had spent a few nights restless nights in her enchanted cottage in the middle of the forest. But her home wasn't really there. She had put a spell on it a long time ago, so no one else could see or feel it. Because of its invisibility, Ebony had never worried about the outside appearance of her house. Its thatched roof was worn down and dirty from the weather and time. Glass windows connected to the wooden base of the cottage shown the interior. Inside, it was small and neat but very homely. A tiny bed was placed in the corner, and there was a closet and dresser on the opposite side. In front it all was fireplace that still contained black ash from the nights before. Anyone else would've thought it was a regular cottage if it wasn't for the dark, rough wooden shelves that lined the walls with little glass bottles all placed in a row. Each of the little glass bottles were filled with some kind of liquid. Some were thick and muddy, while others were light and oily. There were shades of every color and some of them mixed together, each a strange potion. That's what they were, potions. They all had different uses , but Ebony barely paid any attention to them unless when she really needed to use them, which she did now.

Ebony had devised a plan. One that could avenge her precious home that was getting smaller and smaller by the moment. She was uneasy about the trip. Going back there was going to bring back painful memories. But she had to get on. Ebony grabbed her black hooded robe and pulled over her head with her mind elsewhere. All of her hair fanned out over the black cloth, like camouflage of darkness. Will had called her Ebony because of her pitch black hair, and it saddened her how attached she was to that name. Her real name had been Adrienne, but it didn't seem to fit her at all. It was her own dark intentions that allowed her to do what she was doing.

Finding the tiny bottle she needed was a challenge. She had to look at each one particularly and scour her brain for the memory of its use. About an hour later, her search was over. In her pale, beautiful fingers, she held tiny glass bottle sealed at the top with a rubbery cork. Crimson red liquid seemed to glow inside, hauntingly waiting for its use. Ebony gently removed the cork from the bottle. A foul smell drifted upon the air. The smell was that of ashes and blood, of death and destruction, of fear and horror, and of the cruelty that lies in her destination. For a moment, just a tiny moment, her conscience told her if how many lives she could destroy. But she banished it, swatted it away as if it were a nasty insect.

Please, Please, Please Review! Tell me if I should continue. =)
vanna29
vanna29
Admin

https://kids-teenliterature.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

The Curse by Vanna29 Empty Re: The Curse by Vanna29

Post  Taleoflostink Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:23 am

i really like, maybe only one grammatical error and the writing is amazing and drags you right into the story
Taleoflostink
Taleoflostink

http://www.greatyabooks.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  vanna29 Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:15 pm

Thanks so much for reading and reviewing! I am very glad you like it! I will continue soon... Very Happy
vanna29
vanna29
Admin

https://kids-teenliterature.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum